You’re hearing a lot of hype about CBD oils, but what are they exactly? Find out more about this innovative cannabis extract and how it could support your health and wellbeing.
What is CBD?
- Cannabidiol (CBD) is a common cannabinoid compound found in cannabis plants
- Cannabinoid compounds are natural components of the cannabis plant or ‘marijuana’
- There are many cannabinoids found in cannabis including tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
- CBD has been found to promote health and wellbeing in people all over the world for many years
What Are CBD Oils?
- CBD extract diluted in a carrier oil like coconut oil or hemp seed oil
- They are packaged in oil pipette bottles for easy use and dosage in drops
- CBD oils come in a range of concentrations between 250mg and 1000mg per fluid ounce
- They are available in a variety of flavors to take orally or add to food and drinks
Does CBD Oil Make You High?
- CBD alone does not cause a high
- CBD can promote the feeling of relaxation
- Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the main psychoactive cannabinoid found in cannabis
- When taken together, CBD and THC can create a feeling of high different to that of THC alone
Is CBD Oil Legal?
- All 50 states have laws legalizing CBD with varying degrees of restriction
- In 2018, the Farm Bill made hemp legal in the United States
- CBD products with less than 0.3% THC are legal on the federal level but are still illegal under some state laws
- CBD is still illegal in many countries around the world but some allow CBD products with less than 0.3% THC
How Does it Work?
- Cannabinoids interact with the endocannabinoid system in our bodies
- The endocannabinoid system is an intricate and complicated cell communication system
- Cannabinoids bind to receptor sites in the brain and body when cannabis is consumed
- Cannabinoid receptors are what cause various effects on the body and mind
How is CBD Made?
- CBD is extracted from the hemp plant which is the variety of cannabis plants that contains 0.3% of THC or less
- The CO2 extraction method uses high pressure and extremely low temperatures to breakdown the cannabis plant and separate the CBD oil
- Hydrocarbon extraction creates wax or potent cannabis concentrate crystals
- The cannabis flower can be soaked in ethanol and strained to produce an oil that is then heated
- Steam distillation extracts CBD vapors which float up and are captured in a vessel
- The oil infusion method involves decarboxylated the cannabis flower by heating then infusing in a carrier oil
Benefits of CBD Oils
- Cannabis has been used to treat pain since as far back as 2900 B.C
- CBD may help reduce chronic pain by affecting endocannabinoid receptor activity
- Can support the management of mental health disorders such as anxiety disorders
- CBD may help reduce some cancer-related symptoms and side effects such as nausea, vomiting, and pain
- CBD oil could significantly reduce seizure activity for people with epilepsy
- CBD may help improve sleep in people with certain sleep disorders like insomnia
- It may also support the reduction of inflammatory diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease
Other CBD Products
- Different CBD products are absorbed at different rates which may differ slightly for everyone
- Most CBD products are available online and in health food stores
- CBD can be found in dietary supplements, bath products, drinks, and food
- Popular ones include soft gel capsules, sports creams, and face masks
- Pet products containing CBD are also available to promote calm and relaxed behavior
- The correct dosage for you depends on your body weight, the condition you’re treating, your body chemistry, and the CBD concentration
- People use dosages anywhere between 20 and 1,500 mg per day
- It’s best to start with a small dose of 20 to 40 mg a day increase by 5 mg after a week
- Before trying CBD, be sure to talk to your doctor about the appropriate dosage for you
Now you know the basics of CBD oil and that it doesn’t make you high, it is a legal cannabis extract that can promote many health benefits. From better sleep to reduced anxiety and inflammation, CBD is helping many people with day-to-day life. By carefully extracting this natural compound from the cannabis plant, we have been able to create some helpful products to enable you to enjoy the benefits of CBD every day.
Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):